Holiday home SANTA CATERINA in Cortona (Arezzo)
The Santa Caterina Holiday Home has an ancient origin, even dating back to 1272, and is located in the same building that was inhabited for thirteen years by Santa Margherita da Cortona, when, coming from Laviano with his child and abandoned by everyone, he found refuge in the palace of the noblewomen from Cortona Marinaria and Raniera.
In the ancient palace Santa Margherita founded the Confraternity of Santa Maria della Misericordia, for the care of the poor and the sick and the Franciscan tertiary sisters "Le poverelle" who remained there until 1808, the year of the Napoleonic persecution. In 1828 the convent passed to the Oblates of San Francesco di Sales, who opened a "Conservatory" for the education of the girls of wealthy families. In 1917 they took over the sisters of the Poor of Santa Caterina da Siena (a congregation founded by Beata Savina Petrilli) who currently manage the ancient monastery, now used as a home for holidays and rest.
The property is located in the historic center of Cortona, a stone's throw from the heart of city life; has 23 rooms (single, double, triple and up to 5 seats) for the needs of tourists, groups, families and pilgrims, offers adequate space for relaxation, meditation and prayer and a spectacular view of the Valdichiana and the lake Trasimeno.
It offers a comfortable accommodation at reasonable prices and equipped with all modern comforts: lift, meeting room, 100-seat hall, recreational spaces such as the 19th-century internal theater, parking and internal garden.
The kitchen, reserved for guests, is typical of Cortona.
Within 200 m. church, inhabited area. Within 1 km bus stop, ATM, bar / restaurant, supermarket, pharmacy. Between 1 and 5 km train station. Between 5 and 10 km airport, hospital.
Pets not allowed, Elevator.